Monday, December 31, 2007

One Touch Keyboard Lock

Since Blackberry Curve is not a flip phone, it is necessary to lock the keypad before one slips it into his pocket or her purse. When I first got the Curve, I have to navigate to the Keyboard Lock icon and click the trackball to lock. Too cumbersome. Luckily, there is a faster way. It is possible to set the PTT (Push-To-Talk) button so that when you click on it, it will lock the phone. Here are the steps to set it up:

1. From home screen, navigate to the Settings icon and click on it
2. Click the icon that reads "Screen / Keyboard"
3. Scroll down the entry that reads "Left Side Convenience Key Opens:"
4. Change it from "Push to Talk" to "Keyboard Lock"

6 comments:

Adiso said...

You don't have to forfeit the PTT.
hitting 'k' on the main screen will also lock the BB. If you're not on the main screen, just press endcall(power) + k

Tony said...

@adi - I tried this but it just brings me to the dialing screen (it assumes I am looking up a name starting with k). If I press and hold 'k', it asks me to assign the key to speed dial ... Is this a configuration option?

Beejay Chan said...

adi's method didn't work for my 8310 either. I did however find 2 more alternatives to taking up a convenience button.

1. Hold the Mute button to put it in Standby mode which not only locks your phone but conserves energy and you'll still be able to receive calls and texts in this mode.

2. Press Alt+Enter. At first this didn't work for me. It was some type of shortcut to change the language but it gave me a choice of not using this shortcut and I chose that. After I was able to use Alt+Enter from the main screen to lock the keyboard.

EaziD said...

Chan's comment is the best answer, but you can use the other tip.... it just requires you to turn off "dialing from the home screen."

Shannon Flores said...

Great tip, thanks! I just got my Blackberry 3 days ago and I'm still learning how to use it (the manual was pretty much was useless).

Unknown said...

Thanks dude, you saved me from throwing my phone against a wall. Berry on...