Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Permissions and Firewall in Blackberry

I am sure you have run into the situations where your Blackberry keeps asking questions like "The application XYZ has attempted to access a low-level network connection. Would you like to allow us?". The annoying thing is that for some applications, this question would pop up every time you use the app (there is no way to just say "don't ask me again"). I did a quick web search and it seems the most advice is to tweak the permissions of the application. I have tried this but I simply cannot get it to work for many applications.

Finally, I did manage to find a simpler way to get rid of this by using the firewall feature in my Blackberry Curve. Here are the steps:

1) Click on the Options icon


2) Select "Security Options", then "Firewall". You will see the following screen:


3) Change the Status to "Enabled". Don't forget to save!

4) Now start your application. In this case, I am using Opera Mini.



You will see a similar question pop up. In this case check the boxes and select "Allow this connection". You will only need to do this once per application. After this, it will not ask this question again. (Of course, you would only want to allow this if you trust the application).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is there a way to clear the count of blocked sms messages?